22.1.09

Z-Trip


It had not been my intent to attend the Z-Trip gig last night, but tickets were presented to me and I figured I shouldn't say no.

I'm so very glad I went, although I was totally unprepared for the experience I had.

I felt truly part of the events of our times in a way I have never before experienced. Z-Trip started his set by saying he was in a really good mood because his country had just got a new president and he wanted us to celebrate with him.

I've closely followed the US elections, particularly as my mother covered it heavily over at her blog. When Obama won, I felt the same sense that the world had a chance for change with this new leader that I guess everyone felt. But my feelings were quite academic, I never felt touched by the movement on a personal level.

That all changed last night.

Z-Trip's set was an amazing experience. Over block-rocking hip hop party beats, Z-Trip scratched up highlights of Obama's inauguration speech of that very morning, whipping the crowd into a dizzy, euphoric frenzy. We all chanted O.. B.. A.M.A! Over again as we danced in a sweaty, bouncing mass of enthusiasm.

For the first time, I really "got" it. I felt the sense of hope and optimism that has engulfed America. I was touched by this incredible cult of personality. I was part of the now, part of the joyous future.

The last time I felt in any way part of the world experience was 9/11, when we all felt the world become darker and more frightening. It was a time when we all came together in how alone we felt.

Last night was the exact opposite, and boy did it felt good.

No comments: